Volunteer York Region

Volunteer FAQs

Volunteer FAQ's

  1. Go to http://volunteeryorkregion.ca/candidate-panel/candidate-registration/.  This is also available from the top .menu of the site under Volunteers
  2. Fill in all the fields with a * and click Register
  3. Once you are registered you can go to the http://volunteeryorkregion.ca/candidate-panel/ to:
    • Resume – complete your profile and upload your resume
    • Applications – View the status of your applications
    • Applications – View applications received for listings
    • Bookmarks – have easy access to any positions you have shortlisted
    • Alerts – view, edit or create new position alerts
    • other new features coming shortly

With busy lives, it can be hard to find time to volunteer. However, the benefits of volunteering are enormous to you, your family, and your community. The right match can help you reduce stress, find friends, connect with the community, learn new skills, and even advance your career. Giving to others can also help protect your mental and physical health. Learn more about the many benefits of helping others and find tips on getting started.  More….

As part of the diploma requirements, students must complete a minimum of 40 hours of community involvement activities during their secondary school years. Accumulation of community involvement hours may begin the summer after grade 8. More….

Christian Community Service in our Schools

In our Catholic schools we see the opportunity for students to grow in their faith life. The following describes how Christian Community Service offered in our Catholic schools meets the provincial mandate requiring every student to complete 40 hours of Community Service in order to be granted the Ontario Secondary School Diploma.


Eligible Activities are volunteer activities that may be counted towards 40 community involvement hours that must be accumulated by students as a graduation requirement. Eligible activities are those activities that provide services to improve the community or well-being of its members and may be performed for not-for-profit organizations. If an activity does not fall within the categories approved by the Board, and is not on the list of ineligible activities students must obtain written approval from the principal before beginning the activity. More…

Ineligible activities may not be included in community involvement hours by students as outlined by both the Ministry of Education and the York Region District School Board.


What type of Police Record Check Do I Need?

Type of Check Definition Examples
Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) The Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) was established to provide screening of individuals who intend on working or volunteering with the vulnerable. A vulnerable person is defined as a person who, because of their age, a disability, or other circumstances, whether temporary or permanent are (a) in a position of dependence on others or (b) are otherwise at a greater risk than the general population of being harmed by a person in a position or authority or trust relative to them. This type of screening is required for the following types of positions: teacher, social worker, taxi driver, daycare worker, sport coaches, etc. Doctors, nurses, hospital employees, dentists, teachers, non-teaching staff in schools (such as janitors and administrative support), early childcare educators, daycare employees, employees in long term care facilities that provide health services to vulnerable adults.


Note: Available only to York Region residents, VSC is restricted to persons/employees who are in a position of trust/ authority with the vulnerable population.

Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC) The Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC) is intended for applicants who are seeking employment or volunteer positions with agencies who require a criminal record check. The agency has determined that a search of sex offenders with a record suspension is NOT required (e.g. border crossing or visa) therefore this check is NOT intended for applicants who are seeking volunteer and/or employment with vulnerable persons Board of Directors, IT personnel and construction staff at daycares, schools, hospitals and long term care facilities.


Note: Only residents of York Region who are not directly in a position of trust/authority with the vulnerable population can apply for a CRJMC.

Criminal Record Check (CRC) A Criminal Record Check (CRC) is a search of the RCMP databases and is usually required for employment purposes, bylaw licences or immigration purposes. It is not intended for individuals seeking employment or a volunteer position working with children or vulnerable persons. Financial institutions, municipal and by- law licences, travel and immigration and retail industry.


Note: Anyone can apply, regardless of where they currently reside.


The John Howard Society of York Region will assist in finding volunteer placements in York Region to complete court ordered community service hours.  Please search for John Howard Society or Court Ordered Community Service Hours (CSO) in the Keyword Search.

%d bloggers like this: